On November 12th, we testified at a Joint Oversight Hearing of the NYS Assembly and NYS Senate on the MTA’s FY2020-24 Capital Plan.
We’re excited about the Plan’s potential to transform the rider experience and improve the system, including long-awaited accessibility projects. This bold and ambitious plan includes the makings of a rider’s dream come true, but there’s a lot of work ahead, and we applaud the Legislature for holding this important hearing. Our testimony focused on five key issues:
- Ensuring Funding comes through at the federal, state and city levels;
- Expedited appointment of the Capital Program Review Board and a public process;
- Transformation efforts that include a commitment to producing these critical projects better, faster and cheaper, with an unprecedented amount of transparency;
- Getting the MTA the People and Tools it Needs; and
- Identifying new dedicated operating revenue funding streams.
The legislature’s continued oversight is critical to ensuring that the Capital Plan comes to fruition without undue delay and with whatever legislative fixes need to be implemented. This 51.5 billion-dollar capital plan includes new buses, train and subway cars, new signals and facilities but mostly HOPE that transit riders will get the 21st century system they deserve!
11.12.19 NYS Legislative Hearing on FY20-24 Capital Plan FINAL PCAC